Session 1: Your Work Matters to God
God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground.”
The LORD God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it. . . . So the man gave names to all the livestock, the birds in the sky and all the wild animals.
I have filled him [Bezalel] with the Spirit of God, with wisdom, with understanding, with knowledge and with all kinds of skills—to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts. . . . Also I have given ability to all the skilled workers to make everything I have commanded you.
Small Group Discussion of the Big Picture
Think about the Scriptures we heard in today’s video and studied above and relate them to YOUR work.
1. What activities describe the work you do? (Not just your job title, but how you incorporate what you know from Scripture.)
Here are some examples of ways that the Scripture might relate to our work. We are not necessarily meant to do all of these things, nor is doing all of these better than doing only one of them.
2. Check all that apply to your work.
___ Do you make the earth, its resources, or its people more fruitful (productive, efficient)?
___ Do you rule over (manage) the earth, its resources or its people?
___ Do you tend (take care of ) the natural processes of God’s creation?
___ Do you use your creativity to name (order, organize, describe) the elements of God’s creation?
___ Do you use God-given skill to design or craft things?
3. Briefly describe HOW you do any of the things you just checked.
4. Briefly describe HOW you might decide to add any of the things you hadn’t checked.
5. Briefly describe how you have been witness to others who do any of the things listed and the impact it may have had on you.
View all posts in this series
- “Work As Worship” Series Preview - June 2, 2016
- Work As Worship: The Big Picture - June 9, 2016
- Work As Worship: Up in My Business - June 16, 2016
- Work As Worship: Moving on Up - June 23, 2016
- Work As Worship: Mission Control - June 30, 2016
- Work As Worship: Worth Your Salt - July 7, 2016
- Work As Worship: Workship - July 14, 2016